Taking the time to put your emails in the right priority first, then reading and responding to them gets you through that task a wholeeeeeee lot faster.
Just adding this process to my email reading task has changed how I look at emails.
It is amazing how things I once thought I MUST respond to right now were seriously eating away at my time and making me feel productive when I wasn’t!
Yuck, hate when that happens!
Looking realistically, and honestly, at what you’re doing with your time isn’t always easy, and it definitely does give you a way to take DO-ABLE steps to change what you’re doing so you’re more successful.
Getting your inbox to zero, zip, nadda feels sooooooooooo fine it just may be your next “addiction.” And I think that’s a safe one, how about you?
- Create folders for organizing and prioritizing your email
- For example, create a folder called “Immediate Attention Needed,” “Review today,” “Review Tomorrow,” “Review When I Have Time,” “Need Additional Information,” “Done”
- Or, if you’re a numbers person, create folders like “Priority 1,”, “Priority 2,” etc.
- Set a timer for the amount of time you want to focus on responding to email
- Do NOT do anything else (believe me, multi-tasking doesn’t help you get more done)
- Scan your inbox
- Do NOT read them, you’re scanning for priority right now
- Move each email to the folders you’ve created, continuing until all unread emails have been moved to the correct folder
- Open the “Immediate Action Needed” folder
- Respond to those emails until all of them are handled OR your preset time limit is up
- Move them to your “Done” folder
- If you have more time available, check your “Need Additional Information” folder to see if any of those emails can be cleared out
- If you still have some time available, check the messages in your next highest priority folder
- When your preset time limit is up, move on to your next money making task
Don't want to figure this out all by your lonesome? I hear that, so here's what we can do.
Grab your Taste of Freedom call, we'll have a chat (no charge) and see what we can figure out together. Sound like a plan?